Monday, February 13, 2006

Weekend of fun...ish

So, I had a very polarized weekend. First, there was the funeral of my Great Aunt Emma. No matter how good those are, it's still tough. How do people without God do it? Knowing she's in heaven is such a huge difference....even through all this morning, you still feel this part of you that just wants to party.

Then I got to spend a day with Dave and Tara, which is always fun. A nice 3-point move to win Cities and Knights helps as well. Puerto Rico is another story...

On a slightly different note, Organic Church is still interesting, although it is digressing somewhat into a diatribe about how normal church can't work. I agree that smaller, home church-like settings have been more meaningful for me, and fundamentally I agree with them a lot more, that doesn't mean that normal churches can't work. I did like one point it made, though. We, as Christians, shouldn't expect to make the coolest movie, the coolest sign out front, or to wow non-Christians by how fun are services are. Effectively, that philosophy would be saying that we should be as worldly as non-Christians. This doesn't mean we don't strive for excellence, or putting out a quality "product," whatever that product is. Rather, we should never forget that the thing that sets us apart, and what will draw in non-Christians, is Jesus. It's Him, and how he makes us not fit in. That's been meaningful for me, as I continue to work in a predominantly non-Christian office. I'm not going to completely fit in....so don't worry about not fitting in. You would think I would know that by now.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home