Tuesday, June 26, 2007

Stadium Etiquette

What is the appropriate behavior in a baseball stadium when you'd like to talk to a professional player? Let me set up the scenario for you...

I was in Washington watching the Tigers play the Nationals. The Tigers #5 pitcher is Chad Durbin, who is the brother of my last small group co-leader my last year in Bloomington. She and I are really close. Of course, I've never met Chad, and as far as I know he has no idea who I am. But, I've kind of kept track of his time in the majors as kind of an adopted friend--plus, it's really cool to say you know a professional baseball player.

So, I'm at the stadium during batting practice, by the wall, and I'm close to where Chad is playing catch. So, is it appropriate to yell out his name? I don't want to yell out his sister's name and explain the connection because he may not want a bunch of random fan's his sister's name. Plus, I'm really shy. Well, as it turns out, he starts walking away from the wall while still playing catch, and then goes behind second to collect some batted balls. Thus, that opportunity was missed.

But there was another. He had pitched the night before (6 innings, 1 run) and so was interviewed by the Detroit TV people, right in front of their dugout. At this point, I had moved close to the dugout. So, I watched them do the interview, and when Chad finished, he turned and ran into the dugout while the TV guy was still talking. So again, so I yell at him, potentially messing up what goes on during the TV spot, or do I just let him go?

Ultimately, my shyness and not trying to mess things up won out, but I'm not sure I could have done much different. Thoughts?

1 Comments:

Blogger Penjammin said...

In your shoes, I -mighta- blurted out something and messed everything up, but I think your sacrificing opportunity, at the mere suspicion it might cost in decency, will serve you well in thelong run. eprops to you.

8:57 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home