Monday, October 20, 2008

I Feel Naked...

...and fortunate. I made it through the whole day today without my purity ring on my finger, and no one commented. Not a lot of kids know that's the reason for the ring, but a few do, and I was a little worried I was going to get a lot of grief and people were going to make invalid assumptions.

I'm still wearing it--kind of. The ring was an unfortunate casualty of worship yesterday. Those of you who have seen it know it's really four rings intertwined together--a puzzle ring. Well, while playing my djembe, one of the rings happened to partially unwrap itself, and a few good knocks on the drum later it was in two pieces and horribly bent (but not until giving my middle finger a nice puncture wound). The ring kind of still works with just three pieces, but it looks a little weird and doesn't stay stuck together. So, I gave up on the idea of putting it on my finger, and wrapped it through my chain.

I've been amazed at how many times I've fiddled around with my ring finger today before realizing there's nothing there. It's really an odd sensation. I imagine this is a lot like what wearing a wedding ring would be like. After awhile, it's hard to imagine not wearing it. Probably hard to imagine life without that other person, too, but that's moving a little outside my field of expertise...

1 Comments:

Blogger David Aukerman said...

Too bad about that ring, bum... but you're right, that's exactly like what it feels like to not wear a wedding ring after you've worn it for a while. Every time we drop them off at the Shane Co. for their semi-annual cleaning, I have a day or two like what you're describing. It just makes me glad to put it back on again...

7:36 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home