Tuesday, December 06, 2005

Who needs a voice to teach?

Well, apparently I do, which creates a problem when you don't have a voice but do have two classes you need to teach. And since it's the week before finals, there's not really enough time to cancel class and make things up later. So, I struggled through class yesterday with a scratchy voice that could output about 25% of it's normal volume. I think my students were laughing at me at times... Plus, it pretty much shot my voice for the rest of the day. Today my throat seems less sore, but I haven't actually tried to make a sound, so we'll see what happens when I have to talk (say, at the swing lesson I'm teaching in Carmel this afternoon to a bunch of high-schoolers with short attention spans). At least I don't feel sick/nauseous anymore, which is a marked improvement from the weekend.

On a completely unrelated note, I had a very enjoyable time at worship on Sunday in Yorktown. Now that I've officially made that my place of worship, and made that announcement, it feels so much more like my home. It was a good service, and I got some good things out of it. I'm still learning how to discern between God talking to me and my flesh talking to me during the service, and I think I should have shared some (my jail/sin dream, for those who know it), but I didn't see how it fit in to the service. I found out very late, when it was almost too late to share, but I'm learning...I pray that God and the others will be patient with me in that regard. If nothing else, Elyssa and I have a 45-minute drive afterwards to talk things over. At some point, I think it's just going to take me taking a step of faith and trusting God to fit what I say into His plan for that Sunday, even (dare I say "especially"?) if I don't see how it fits in. It's hard to wrap my head around the idea that I have something to contribute to that group, that in this body of people I consider more spiritually mature than myself, my gifts are still needed to fill a need God sees there. How humbling is that?

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home