Friday, February 08, 2008

A New Side of Shawn

Apparently last night I weirded out a lot of my students. We lost my JV game by 4, and it was a game we should have won. We scored 52 points, which is really good for a JV game, but that clearly means the 56 points we gave up was too much. Our defense struggled, and we made a lot of mental mistakes (both offensively and defensively). Apparently I was getting frustrated with my guys. Really frustrated. To the tune of lots of yelling and stomping and other signs of frustration. Apparently more so then I've ever done in class (not that I've ever yelled in class) or at any other time these kids have seen me over the past year and a half. At least three different classes, as well as a group of kids after school, expressed some kind of surprise/fear/interest/awe at this new behavior of mine. Now, I thought it was just general intense coaching, but I tend to be a low-key guy, so it's a little big of a change for them. I guess now I get to worry about how my non-player students are reacting to my coaching as well...

3 Comments:

Blogger David Aukerman said...

Maybe you're the next Bobby Knight? :)

Well, I think it's good that your non-player students brought up the JV games... they get to see you under normal circumstances, so if anything they probably have a better idea of who you are than your players do.

Besides, Christians are allowed to have emotions and to be passionate, right? :)

6:17 PM  
Blogger spocktongue said...

Well, Knight did show up on Leno last night in a referee shirt...

We better be allowed to have emotions, else I'm in trouble. Although I believe I've been accused of not having any emotions before...

7:18 AM  
Blogger petite américaine said...

Perhaps the awe/fear will keep them in line in the classroom - I'd do 'bout anything if it'd help my classroom management sometimes! lol ;)

8:54 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home