Friday, March 21, 2008

New pets

Indiana got racked with rain this week, especially in the Terre Haute region. One day we got about five inches in about twenty hours. So, that being said, the water level of the pond in my back yard went up. A lot. The corner of my dock is actually under water. Plus, for those who saw it, the little "dam" or "levee" that I made in the ditch (when I was really bored over the summer) was overflowed. It was the first time the water got even close to the top, and it rose and breached it on the right and left parts. The highest part, though, in the middle, is still slightly above water. Why do I mention this? It's about the only piece of land in the area above water. So, it has become the habitat of about eight different rather large turtles. They were sunning themselves this afternoon. It was pretty cool...although they ran off when I tried to get close enough for a picture. Bummer.

4 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey, that's pretty cool... too bad about the picture. We got a lot of rain here, too (obviously), and for a while we had a couple of inches of standing water in our basement - the drain was clogged somehow, but it was an easy fix.

(Go WVU!)

4:32 PM  
Blogger spocktongue said...

Go WVU!!! It destroyed my brackets, but who cares? Duke lost!

Actually, what really destroyed my bracket was Davidson beating Georgetown. That beat me in two pools...

Did "easy fix" involve sticking your hand in gunk?

8:47 PM  
Blogger The Hawley's said...

How exactly do turtles run?

7:23 AM  
Blogger spocktongue said...

Trying to come up with a clever response....

Turtles run....greenly.

7:41 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home