Saturday, May 24, 2008

Going All In

At the lindy exchange last weekend, a friend of mine had an interesting conversation with a dancer who has a reputation as being somewhat of a player. Currently, the guy is in what he called an "open relationship." In defense of that, he asked the question: Would you prefer getting from your partner 10 out of the 10 units of love he can give, or get 500 of the 1000 units of love he can give?

Now, my first instinct would be to shrug off the question as being stupid. How would one person be able to give 10 units of love, compared to 1000 units of love for another person? But my friend completely skipped that, going to the heart of the question anyway--she said she would take the guy giving 10 out of 10. And she answered without hesitation. That answer kind of took him back.

Numbers aside, that's clearly the right answer. Whoever I take as a wife (God willing), I want her 100% committed to me, even if she "only" have 10 "love units" to give me. What does it say about me, though, that my first instinct was to nit-pick the question?

The more I thought about it, the more similarities I see about the question and our relationship with God. Now, it's not like God is giving us 500 of His 1000 love units, or anything like that--He loves us completely. But comparitively, the love we show Him is incredibly small. But, what does He want? He wants all 10 of our love units to go to Him.


Anyway, on a completely unrelated note, I got a hit from Marghita this morning, so it's cool to know that Kelsey is checking out my blog!

1 Comments:

Blogger Kels_Caleb said...

it's the most convenient way to bring marghita to you shawn.
you should thank me for my thoughtfulness!

3:28 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home