Tuesday, June 03, 2008

Nerves and Golf

Monday I was the most nervous I have ever been at a golf match. Unfortunately, I wasn't actually playing golf, which means it was very difficult to do anything about my nerves. It was golf sectionals, and I had two guys playing fairly well. That's not completely true...they played mediocre to slightly below mediocre on the front nine. However, both of them lit it up on the back. So well, in fact, they actually had a chance to advance out of sectionals to the regionals. That would be a pretty great thing. That being said, the scores we had to worry about were in groups behind my golfers, which means we didn't really know what score it was going to take to get out. This makes each stroke incredibly important, and incredibly nerve-wracking. Especially for a coach, who has no real outlet for his nervousness. Plus, when the tee box at the par 3 17th (a long carry over water--very nerve-wracking under normal conditions) has a long wait, I have to try to hide my nervousness and somehow entertain my golfers so they aren't too nervous or thinking about the importance of each shot (especially the senior, who's playing in his potentially last golf tournament). This was a totally new experience for me...

All that to say, both of the guys made it to regionals! One finished even par on the back nine and got in fairly easily, while the senior squeaked in and tied for the last spot. But, I get another round of golf for free tomorrow, and both my guys get to play at regionals. Woohoo!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home