Sunday, January 07, 2007

Coaching etiquette

So, a couple quick comments from the weekend. First of all, Katie came to my basketball game on Friday and brought me pufuleti!!!



Pufuleti (pronounced poof-a-letz, and there's a comma under the t, but I don't know how to do that) are a Romanian treat that cost about 35 cents for a bag, or something like that. It's basically salted cheese puffs without the cheese. We loved them over the summer, and she brought me home some when she went back over Christmas break. The bag is gone...

Secondly, what exactly is the coaching etiquette when players challenge you to a game of 1-on-1? Before Friday's game, one of our guys challenged me. So, in dress shoes and a sweater, I played him in a game to 10. After taking an 8-4 lead, though, I began to think a little about what I was doing. We're trying to get this guy to play stronger and more aggressive and smarter, and will losing to a coach (whose admittedly is not very good 1-on-1...I'm much more of a team guy--rebounds, assists, help-side defense) in his dress shoes help or hurt that cause? As it turns out, I started resorting to jump-shots with less than 100% effort, so he won 10-8, but I could have scored just about whenever I wanted to if I so desired. So, are they just testing me to see if I have any idea what I'm talking about (even though a game of 1-on-1 wouldn't show that at all)? Or just trying to be macho? Surely high school guys would be above that...

More on etiquette, I picked up an assist yesterday. At least, everyone thinks I did. In the JV game, with the score 0-0, our defense was trying to steal the ball. It got deflected and was heading to the bench. Just as a reaction, our coach batted it, redirecting it onto the court, where our player took it to the hole to score the first bucket of the game. This, of course, is not allowed, and should have been out of bounds to North Knox. Now, for whatever reason, everyone in attendance seem to think it was me and not our coach who did it, and I got all kinds of accollades/harassment through the rest of the night. Quite possibly the first coach to literally help out on a fast break!

2 Comments:

Blogger petite américaine said...

I'm mostly disappointed that you didn't let me try any of your Romanian snack food. :(

"cheese puffs w/out the cheese", eh? I'm not sure I'm happy w/ that description. What are they besides Shawn's secret weakness? lol

4:28 PM  
Blogger spocktongue said...

Hey, if you show up to a basketball game now or then, you would have gotten to try them... :) Seriously, though, that's a really good description of them, maybe adding a little saltiness. They are *way* too good...

2:08 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home