Tuesday, January 23, 2007

Cruelty to the extreme

Congratulations to the John Glenn High School (my alma mater) basketball team, winner of their fourth straight Bi-County Tournament. It lead to a dialogue on Hickory Husker, a favorite website of mine on Indiana high school basketball, praising that program and Coach Mosson. Along the discussion line, their sectional was mentioned. Now, I knew this is one of the toughest sectionals in the state, but I wanted to investigate.

First of all, this year, there are two really really bad teams in there, so we throw those teams out, leaving four teams: Glenn, Jimtown, Fairfield, and Westview. So, I checked the ever popular Sagarin ratings for Indiana HS basketball. As it turns out, John Glenn is the 8th best 2A team in the state. And yet, they are the fourth best team in their sectional. Are you kidding me?!? How is it possible that of the nearly 100 2A teams in the state, 4 of the top 8 exist in a two-county section of very northern Indiana? I feel sorry for three of those teams, who in most regions would easily make the regional level, if not semi-state, and yet may not win their first game. Welcome to Indiana basketball. :)

3 Comments:

Blogger petite américaine said...

Indiana High School basketball, y'mean.

It's serious stuff, folks. Don't believe me? Well, then you've never seen Hoosiers!

12:52 PM  
Blogger spocktongue said...

You are right--I should have capitalized "high school." :)

5:51 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

basketball. yuck. i must be from a state that isn't indiana!

7:16 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home