Wednesday, April 20, 2005

TeX

So, I'm really excited about this new TeX program that I downloaded onto my computer a couple days ago. It's really nice and easy to work with. It's shareware, so keep your fingers crossed that it doesn't stop working in a month.

Unfortunately, that's about the only thing that's gone right the past few days. My stomach's been funky for a few days, which has led to some less-than-fulfilling nights of sleep. Which, of course, leads to some less-than-productive days of working on math. Fortunately, I've been able to write up a colloquium talk (with my new TeX program :)), which doesn't require that much thought, or I wouldn't be getting anything done. Besides that, two of my good swing friends had a HS friend hang himself a few days ago. They weren't especially close to him, but it's still rough. I wish they didn't both go to different schools (DePauw and Anderson)...I really wanted to give them a hug and just hold them for a few minutes.

Anyway, hopefully the sun will stay out and shining--I have a middle school track meet to start tonight. Maybe I can fit in a nap first....

6 Comments:

Blogger spocktongue said...

If I can't fish-flop, how am I supposed to pass the time out of water?

9:19 PM  
Blogger melissa said...

whats a tex?

11:11 AM  
Blogger spocktongue said...

TeX (or .tex) is a file type that all serious mathematics is done it. It allows you do pretty much anything, from integrals to summations to funky arrows to fractions of fractions of fractions.... Part of every mathematicians' doctoral studies will involve learning how to write in TeX, or find a program that will let you do it easily.

A new added feature I just found on the program I have is it allows .tex files to be saved as .pdf files, so anyone who wants a .pdf of Farmer Ted can now get one. :)

12:30 PM  
Blogger melissa said...

ok. did i miss some other important math term? you and dave both said 'farmer ted'. is there a hidden meaning here?

11:12 AM  
Blogger spocktongue said...

Farmer Ted is a reference to a math paper I wrote and recently got accepted for publication called "Farmer Ted Goes 3D," to be seen in Mathematics Magazine in June. The paper starts with some cheesy math jokes relating to a fictional character called Farmer Ted, which is where the reference comes from.

Basically, the bum and I are nerds. :)

7:29 PM  
Blogger spocktongue said...

Will do--there's a couple of corrections I want to make to it (the stuff the editors have worked on since I submitted it), but once I get those done (maybe tonight, maybe July), I'll switch it over to .pdf and send you one (and anyone else who's interested.

8:20 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home