Thursday, May 26, 2005

In the zone

Played my first intramural basketball game of the summer last night. We got mercy-ruled, which is always rough, but I actually didn't play that badly. The team we played is really good, had set plays, are really big and strong, and they all could shoot from three. So, when we actually got them to miss shots, they tended to get the offensive rebound and put it back. We effectively had 3 big men and no subs, and they really weren't comfortable playing that far from the hoop.
Modulo being incredibly out of shape, I played a pretty good game. My defense wasn't horrible, but my offense was pretty good. There's something sweet about being in such a groove that as you're going up for a shot, even before you release it, you know it's going in. Not just that it's a good shot, or that you are shot the ball well, but just knowing that your shot is money. There's only a few times I've felt that good about my shot, and this is the first time in an actual game setting (at our math senior seminar retreat, I was shooting around and probably made 80% of my shots during a 30+ minute span....until I got tired and starting to lose my form). It was 3's, ten-foot bank shots, free throws, anything.
Of course, any time our team plays, I need to outscore the guy I'm guarding if we want to win, and I played my guy about even (I scored 19 of our 51 points), but it was still a pretty cool feeling. Now if I can only get that feeling about algebraic geometry...

1 Comments:

Blogger spocktongue said...

Yeah, we had 51, but the other team had 91 with less than 2 minutes left. The previous team they played lost 84-40, so I take some solace in the fact that we scored 51.

I just remember the basketball from senior seminar because I spent an hour or so by myself in the gym shooting. It took about 20 minutes to warm up, but then I get in the aforementioned groove--it was the first time I was in such a groove in basketball, and it was really cool (and apparently memorable). Of course, people came over to play games after an hour, when I was nice and tired. :)

As for the studies, yesterday was not real productive, but after a couple of emails, I'll be getting in a few hours of nothing but math. So, we'll see...

2:40 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home