Wednesday, May 11, 2005

S.e.x isn't all that

So, I was at swing club on Monday night and we were joking a little about my birthday, and same way or another (I don't remember the details) we (by "we" I mean "the other people there") got to the point where someone said something to the effect of "so you didn't do it." I responded by saying since I've never done "it" before, in particular I didn't have s.e.x on my birthday. One g.i.r.l immediately said "I'm sorry" and another guy started consoling me, explaining that he hadn't lost his virginity until he was 28. I couldn't believe it (and found it really sad); I was being consoled for this dastardly mark on my character of being a virgin. It was kind of cool to be able to say, "Well, I have no intentions of having s.e.x before I'm married, I'm fine with being a virgin. It's not like I haven't been a position where I could have had s.e.x (at least, potentially so--does that grammatically make sense, through all my negatives and prepositions?), but as much as I think I would enjoy s.e.x (duh), I'm not going to do it before I'm married." Of course, the obligatory response I got was, "Well, then get married already," but I found it a little depressing that I was viewed almost not complete because I was a virgin. Part of me wants everyone to see me and say "wow, he's confident and in control in who he is without s.e.x (or some other way I can boost my ego), maybe he's onto something, but that's probably unrealistic. And I've known this viewpoint is common (spend a day in my office; heck, spend an hour in my office--that'll be enough), especially in a city like Bloomington, but it's still sad to come face to face with it.

Ok, I've kind of run out of steam, and I don't really know where I'm going with this, or if there's a conclusion, or how much wood a woodchuck could chuck if a woodchuck could chuck wood (or even what a woodchuck is, for that matter), so I'll probably stop soon.

In fact, I'll conclude with the quote of the night: "Umm, I bid one dollar, Bob."

Note: I apologize for the use of periods. Apparently, Cybersitter doesn't like the words s.e.x or g.i.r.l, and so deletes them during the submission process. I haven't figured out a way to fix that yet, seeing as I don't have the password to look at the settings...

2 Comments:

Blogger meg-o-vision said...

Hey there,

Came across your blog and got all into the "virgin talk." Well i just want to say that i totally respect you. I'm 25 and the BIG "V" as well! I get a lot of: "well by the time you do have sex, your partner wont be a virgin...yadda yadda." Know what? I could care less. Virginity is not something that i hold as a symbol so people will like me, it is just who i am and what i believe. I think that is the same for you. Just keep doing what you are doing and be yourself, having/not having sex doesnt make you a man. If sex were as good as so many ppl make it out to be, then why do ppl always want to have more? and with more people? and suffer so much by it. I dunno, i am kinda ranting now. But i hope you understand that being a "virgin," isn't a bad thing at all.

7:25 PM  
Blogger Buttercup and JOHN-43 said...

stick by you guns :))))

7:41 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home