Wednesday, June 08, 2005

I wish I was in shape

So, in case you can't read my title, I wish I was in shape. It's frustrating for me--who considers himself an athlete--to not be able to go 110% at all times when playing a game because I can't physically handle that. I'm used to going all out for the five minutes I play in basketball, then getting subbed for and resting a little, and then after halftime playing another five minutes or so. Playing 20 minutes straight, a 2 minute half, and then another 20 minutes is going to be tough regardless, but doing that when you are completely out of shape is pretty rough. I miss being able to run for a mile before I even broke a sweat, and not really starting to feel tired until I've started mile 5. I may never reach that point again, but it would be nice to be in better shape. One of the ways I've been trying to gain weight (moderately succesful, actually--I'm up to about 141) is by reducing the number of calories I burn. But, I'm getting fed up with that option. So, the new, tentative plan will involve lifting a lot more, doing some (but maybe not a lot) of cardiovascular type of stuff, and trying to increase my food intake even more. Why do getting in shape and gaining weight work against each other? Maybe I should ask, why am I so backwards? :)
On a positive note, our basketball team only lost by 15 tonight (roughly 67-52), which is a moral victory, in some sense. Plus, I scored probably close to 25 points, so that was nice to have that big a role. My defense suffered a little, and I made some questionable decisions at times, but some was just because I was tired, and when I'm tired, I try to take shortcuts. Unfortunately, some of those come on defense, especially when I'm needed to score a lot of points. I hate not going all out on defense, actually--I've always enjoyed playing good defense, whether in basketball, ultimate, or cross country. Ok, maybe not CC, but you get the idea. There's something....elegant...about being a blue-collar kind of athlete, doing the dirty work, shutting down an opponent, that I really like. Almost self-sacrificial. The way sports are meant to be played...

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home