Sunday, July 10, 2005

The toast that almost was

What a beautiful wedding! It was so exciting to be a part of the union of Dave and Tara, and I'm glad everything went off wonderfully. I could go on for hours about the past few days, but I won't. However, I was unable to give my toast due to darkness issues, so I thought I would go ahead and type it up here.

And Sarah D, if you happen to be reading this, remember: It don't mean a thing...if it ain't got that swing....do wah do wah do wah do wah....

*start speech by bawking like a chicken*
So, it's been seven years since I first met the bum our freshman year at Taylor on FoSo. For some reason, I was immediately drawn to a tall, gangly, card-playing math major on my floor. And despite an unhealthy fascination with the designated hitter, he hated the Yankees, so we became good friends.
More importantly, however, we became euchre partners. Frankly, he's the best euchre partner I've ever had, and we had a lot of success together in tournaments in Gerig and across campus at Taylor.
I don't want to give the wrong impression, though--Dave and I did other things together besides play cards: we played computer games, too. Our favorites were Descent and Worms. To commemorate those times together, I wanted to work in a quote from Worms, but "the first of many!" didn't really seem to fit the occasion.
Anyway, I first heard of Tara our junior or senior year at Taylor. Dave wanted to rebel against everyone in Chorale hooking up and getting married, and he did so by taking a "fake wife," a one Ms. Tara Woodrum. Now, I didn't know Tara, but I knew her sister Melissa, and she was pretty cute, so I approved of Dave's fake spouse. Eventually, though, Dave stopped referring to her as his wife--I didn't press the issue, but just stored it in the back of my mind.
I finally got to meet Tara our last semester at Taylor when the three of us took a class together with Dr. Spiegel. Between dry-eraser jokes, I was able to see who this Tara person was, and how she and David interacted. And to be perfectly honest, I liked her right away: she laughed at our chicken sounds and groaned at our math jokes...what more could you want?
The final straw in my mind with regard to the two of them took place on the road trip Dave and I took after graduation. Officially, the purpose of the trip was to see the Indians and the Cubs play some baseball, but the real motive was to visit the Woodrums in Pennsylvania. At one point during the trip, Dave just casually mentioned to me, "You know, some guy's going to have a fun time winning her heart." At this point, I was like, "Dave, c'mon, you like her--admit it already, and get hooked up." But, they waited....and waited...
But finally, they did start dating. I had the privilege of being friends with both of them, so I was privy to most things that happened in the relationship. I occasionally got to play mediator, but more often got to play devil's advocate. Very early in the relationship, though, it was very clear to me that this thing was going all the way. I got to watch the relationship develop, and just wait...and wait......and wait...
But David finally did propose and afford us this gorgeous ceremony. And I harass him about the length of time it took for Dave and Tara to get to this point, but I really respect their discipline and patience throughout this relationship. At every stage in the relationship, they always made sure that not only they were ready, but that it was God's timing as well. This is how you do relationships--Dave and Tara did it right.
So, to the new couple: May God honor your commitments to Him and to each other, and bless you many times over for the glory that your relationship has brought Him.

2 Comments:

Blogger melissa said...

bravo! clap clap clap!! see? just as if we were sitting in the dark pavilion raptly listening to your wonderful speech. i'm sorry you didnt get to give it, but thanks for sharing with us now =)

11:26 PM  
Blogger spocktongue said...

*bowing*
*bowing*
*tipping my imaginary cap*

Thank you, thank you. Thanks for listening to it, at least. It was kind of going to be my little tribute to Dave and Tara, which is why I still wanted to "give" it, even if in a different format. :)

1:32 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home