Thursday, October 19, 2006

Where are my loyalties?

So, I have a philosophical question for you, and I'll take all kinds of feedback. It's maybe a cheesy example of this, but it's actually happening, so it will have to work. The John Glenn Spell Bowl team is in the State Championships. When in high school, I was on the team for three years, spelling for them for two years, and anchoring the team my senior year. The coach is a good friend with whom I've stayed in contact with over the years since I graduated. Enter the complication: the Sullivan Spell Bowl team is also in the State Championships. I have a few of the students in my classes. So, who do I root for?

Now, clearly, I want both to do well, and I want them to finish 1-2. But, can I cop out and say I don't care who goes where? Can I say I hope they tie? Or do I have to pick one? And if so, which one do I pick? Now, to be clear, if I was coaching Sullivan (or say, in basketball, where I am a coach), there would be no question, but I have no real affiliation with the Sullivan team other than what is mentioned above. So what do you think?

Frankly, it's disturbing some of the ways I occupy my thinking...

4 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Easier question: Which school is paying your mortgage? :)

10:57 AM  
Blogger petite américaine said...

Ha ha!! I love it, Dave!

But yeah, I can't figure out how you have the time to spend thinking of all of this sillyness. It's like you have nothing better to do with your time at the moment...sheesh. ;)

9:58 PM  
Blogger spocktongue said...

Are you kidding? I have all kinds of time on my hands...until Sunday evening. Then I'll have no time again...

(note: that's when Carolyn gets back from France)

10:13 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

you should just go for the sullivan team. Ya know you want to. Plus you are one of there teachers now. You have to respect them.

10:25 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home